While watching athletes run may be enjoyable, the spectators are most interested in who finishes well. In other words, who wins or in some cases who is able to endure the long race. This describes our Christian race. It is nice to have stretches where we show good form, but what really matters is how we finish. Here are some keys to how to finish well in our Christian race.
Running the Race…Finishing Well
1. Create and maintain a vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ.
Our faith is about more than rules or regulations, we must come to serve the Lord out of love rather than obligation. This is accomplished in creating a relationship with the Lord.
2. Constantly learn in different ways.
Look to the world to see God’s beauty, look at people to see God’s redemptive power, look to the Bible to see God’s plan for you.
3. Reflect the Fruit of the Spirit in your character.
With your friends, with your enemies, and with complete strangers, make it a practice to show love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control.
4. Allow the truth and promises of God to be lived out in your life. As you grow closer to God, you will see the results of your faith in decisions you make and through the Lord’s sweet providence.
5. Leave a legacy. Live a life worthy of imitation. Strive to leave relationships and people better than you found them.
6. Live with a sense of destiny. Remember that this world is not our home, the things on this earth are not the end, we have something better that awaits us. Run by keeping your eye on the goal.